(last updated 2004-12-09)
I use Excel a lot at work, probably at least a third of my time is spent using it. For some projects, I'll work on Excel full time, 10 hours a day, for weeks on end. And with all that time that I spend using it, I'm still pleasantly surprised when I think, boy, it sure would be nice if Excel would do this, and then I go and look it up in the help file, and it does. It's a very good program. However, there are a few things that it doesn't do, or at least that I haven't been able to figure out how to do easily. So, here is my list of things that I wish would be added to a future version of Excel.
- Easier way to make a custom chart type
- Strip Chart type Charts
- Easier interpolated lookup tables, especially for multi-dimensional lookup tables
- Ability to Click and Drag on Graphs to Zoom on a Window
- Ability to set y-axis scale equal to x-axis scale (ex: so that a circle will look like a circle, and not an ellipse)
- Conditional Number Formatting (i.e. if the value is >0.001, use general, but if it is <0.001, format at 0 decimal places- useful for quickly finding small values)