During this recent flood scare, one issue I had was finding good sources of information. There was no single location that linked to all the good resources - I had to find them piecemeal. So, in the event that there's another flood in the future, I want to have one location with all these resources so I don't have to go searching for them again, and so that other people can easily find them. Below is a list of the resources that I found most useful.
- National Weather Service - Wichita River Current Level & Forecast This site provides a graph showing the current river level, updated every hour. It also includes a forecast, updated every 8 hours. The forecast is a single curve showing the most likely scenario.
- National Weather Service Weather Forecast Office - Norman Oklahoma
This site will only put up a link for the river forecast when there's an emergency, but it shows a range of forecasts with the likelihood of each level. In other words, it's doesn't just show the most likely scenario like the previous link, but also shows the worst case scenario.
- National Weather Service - Watches, Warnings or Advisories for Wichita (TXC485) Texas
Official warnings from the National Weather Service. These are text only warnings.
- Wichita Falls Flood Maps
These are the areas that were flooded in the 2007 flood - the highest on record at 24.4 ft.
- Flood Inundation Prediction Map - Worst Case Scenario
This was the worst case scenario predicted for 2015, showing all the areas that would be flooded if the river reached 28 ft. Recall that the highest on record was 24.4 ft.
- Official City of Wichita Falls Facebook Page
The city posts most of their online announcements here, including evacuation notices, press releases, and links to information.
- Official City of Wichita Falls Website
This site has some information, but doesn't stay as current as the Facebook page.
- Texoma's Homepage - Text Alert Signup
KFDX News will text you headlines and links for Breaking News stories. These texts are year round for all breaking news, not just flooding.
- Nixel Signup
This is a service that you sign up for that will text you important notices from the city. These updates are year round for various issues, not just flooding.